Howdie Hoosiers! It’s time for our favorite tasting of the whole year, the one that celebrates all the diversity, talent, and creativity found here in the Indiana brewing community.
The free beer tasting where we pour only products brewed locally.
How well do you know your local breweries? Take the quiz and find out!
Post answers to each question in the comments section below, or follow us on twitter @beer_at_kahns to answer questions each day leading up to the tasting.
We’ll post the correct answers next week before the tasting!
1. In 1997 Oaken Barrel took over a defunct 25 barrel system to increase their production. They shut it down and moved to the smaller system of their current location in 2005 (scaling back and keepin’ it local). What brewery’s system did they take over in ’97?
2. Sun King currently has 2 lager tanks in usage. What are they affectionately called?
3. Until recently, Flat 12 was brewing on a 20 barrel system. This year they ramped up their production dramatically with 2 new outdoor fermentor units. How many barrels do these new fermenters have capacity for?
Bonus – Why did they have to house these units outdoors?
4. How much beer did Sun King brew in their first 6 months of business? How much did they brew last year? (
5. Sun King’s original concept didn’t call for a full production facility. What was it originally going to be?
6. The piece of equipment used to break apart the beer palates on Sun King’s canning line was bought from what Colorado based brewery?
Bonus – What is this machine called?
7. Where is the McClure Family Orchard located?
8. Does the Oaken Barrel have a large-scale production facility?
9. What is Pogue’s Run Porter of Flat 12 Bierwerks named for?
Bonus; What almost killed Joe Walsh 2 weeks ago?
10. What year did Upland Brewery first start production?
11. There is a tank at Sun King that was originally purchased from Upland Brewing, and used as a lager tank until better equipment could be purchased. What color did Sun King paint this tank, and what do they call it?
Question Bonus – what was this tank originally used for before being repurposed for fermenting beer?
12. Name Upland Brewing’s bestselling beer
13. Sun King wasn’t originally going to be called Sun King. What name was Dave and Clay’s first choice, before eventually being changed to Sun King?
14. Where does Flat 12 Bierwerks get it’s name?
15. What event has become a weekly tradition at the Flat 12 Brewery?
16. Co-founder Jon W. Lang of Triton Brewing has been working as a brewmaster in Indiana longer than almost anyone else. Where did he spend 9 years working as the brewmaster before opening Triton?
17. What type of system does Triton use to purify their water? Let’s get science-y, what does this system do?
18. Name the Oaken Barrel signature line-up of beers (it’s ok if you don’t know them all, you’ll get to try them at the #localsonly event)
19. How long has the Oaken Barrel Brewpub been in business?
20. Name the exact geological features of Southern Indiana that Upland is named after.
21. Why did the founding members, Jon and David, name the brewery “Triton” brewing?
22. How many tap rooms does Upland currently have, and where are they located?
23. Cutters Brewery has seen rapid growth in the past few years. What was their brewing classification in 2011 when they opened their doors in Bloomington? What was their classification just 1 year later when they moved to Avon?
24. Upland is really well known for their sour lambics, name 3 of the fruits used to create these signature sours.
25. What revolutionary new innovation has Cutters pioneered in respect to growler fills?
26. Why the funny spelling on the Bierwerks in “Flat 12 Bierwerks”?
27. What background makes the founding members of Fountain Square unique?
28. While the McClure family has owned their orchard for 15 yrs, when were they finally able to start distributing their family made wines and artisanal ciders?
29. From where do the owners of New Day Meadery, Brett and Tia, order all of the honey used to make their signature meads?
30. Name a couple of awesome specialty small batch meads produced by New Day Meadery.
31. What brewery did Fountain Square buy their current system from? (Hint, they are local)
Alright, that's a rap!
Thanks for playing, Quizzers! Answer whatever questions you can in the comments below, and find out if you've got the local 411 next Wednesday morning.
We'll also be tweeting the questions one at a time leading up to the event, if you'd like to show off your massive brain on twitter, follow us @beer_at_kahns.
Till then, drink local